Snow Cover: 0 Inch Base
Date of Report: April 4, 2017
Grooming is done for the season. There will still be snow around Raco in the woods for you few die-hards that want to run on USFS roads. Gates are starting to be closed.
We have a newly-plowed parking area at the beginning of Trail #8 under the International Bridge, which now has an all-season Porta-John.
If you are staying in the Sault, please look at our list of supporters on our web page and give them your business. Please do that in all the towns you visit. The grooming entities are all made up of volunteers who want you to support those who support us!
Remember, the trail base is the amount of snow between your track and the ground below, not the amount of fluff piled up in the woods. Six inches of snow compresses to less than an inch on the trail.
Sault Ste. Marie to Brimley, Trail #8 –
Base 0 – 0 inches -Trail is in poor condition.
Brimley to Raco, Trail #8 –
Base 0 – 1 inches -Trail is in poor condition. The trail is back to normal where the collapsed building was.
When going across the bridge in Brimley, make sure you go with the flow of traffic! Blowing and drifting occurs when you first leave Brimley.
Raco to Naomikong Trail #8 [where Paradise meets us], Trail #8 –
Base 0 – 1 inches – Trail is in poor condition.
Sault Ste. Marie City Trail, Trails #497, #449, parts of #8 & #49 –
Base 0- 0 inches – Trail is in poor condition.
We now have a marked and groomed trail going to Chippewa Motors. It starts once you come out of the woods east of M-129 off #449. It comes into their parking lot from behind if you need parts or service.
City curfew is from 1 am – 6 am. Remember, most City streets are open to traffic 20mph, stop at all intersections, and ride on the right-hand side of street, not on sidewalks. Watch for closed streets that are posted, mainly around the hospital, university, and state trunk lines.
Sault Ste. Marie to Kinross, Trail #49 –
Base 0 – 0 inches – Trail is in poor condition. Make sure you follow the reroute once you cross the bridge going south at 7 Mile Road. Wet areas have reopened.
When the trail is running along roads, make sure you go with the flow of traffic on the right side of the road.
Kinross loop & south to Pickford, Parts of Trail #49, #472, and #494 –
Base 0 – 0 inches – Trail is in poor condition. Watch for trucks on the trail.
Kinross to Raco & Rudyard, Parts of trail #472 & #480 –
Base 0 – 1 inches – Trail is in poor condition. Watch for the reroute signs just west of Kinross. Road shoulders are bare.
The Downtown Trail is signed, but snow and barrels on the Portage Ave. Bridge have been removed!
Join us on Facebook, too!
Courtesy of the Sault Ste. Marie Snowmobile Association – Groomer Report
- We now have a marked trail that will be groomed on occasion to get to parts and services at Chippewa Motors. It comes into the back of their lot from the east side of M-129 when you come out of the woods.
- Remember, the trail base is the amount of snow between your track and the ground below, not the amount of fluff piled up in the woods. Six inches of snow compresses to less than an inch on the trail.
- We have a new, plowed parking area at the beginning of Trail #8 under the International Bridge, which now has an all-season Porta-John.
Courtesy of the Sault Ste. Marie Snowmobile Association
The Sledder’s Pledge
- I will obey the rules and laws of the state or province I am visiting.
- I will be careful when crossing roads, and always cross at a right angle to traffic.
- I will keep my machine in top shape and follow a pre-op check before each ride.
- I will wear appropriate clothing, including gloves, boots and a helmet with a visor.
- I will let family or friends know my planned route, my destination and my expected arrival time.
- I will treat the outdoors with respect. I will not litter or damage trees or other vegetation.
- I will respect other peoples’ property and rights, and lend a hand when I see someone in need.
- I will not snowmobile where prohibited.