Trail Conditions: Early Season
Snow Cover: 14"
Date of Report: January 11, 2021
Western U P Snowmobile Trail Report— 1/11/2021
Please use caution while riding you will encounter so wet spots and icy spots along with some rocks. We need more snow. Please stay on marked trails riding on unmarked trails can result in the clubs losing easement for the trails. Please be respectful.
Early season riding..
Gogebic Range Trail Authority – Snowmobile & ORV Club Trail Report
- Trail Condition: Poor
- Last Groomed: January 09th, 2021
- Base Snowfall: 14″
- Reported On: January 11th, 2021 @ 8:05amTrail 2 from Hurley to Ramsay US-2 Crossing:Last groomed 1/9/2020. Please do not ride on sidewalks near Holiday and try to keep noise down in town.Overall rating: Poor – Hills are very icyTrail 2 from Wakefield to Marenisco:Last groomed 1/9/2020.Overall Rating: Poor to FairTrail 160 from Walmart to Montreal River (WI):Last Groomed 01/09/20.Bald Mountain “NORTH” lookout viewing Madeline Island/ mouth of the Chequamegon Bay of Lake SuperiorMontreal River Gorge look out11S (Wakefield, MI to Winchester, WI):Last Groomed 1/9/2020.
- 11N (Wakefield, MI to South boundary Rd/White Pine): Closed due to off trail riding. Please contact Indianhead Valley Condo’s who have closed the trail.
- PLEASE YIELD TO ANY AND ALL LOGGING TRAFFIC. There is a short section of dual use the landowner (Keweenaw Land) has graciously approved us to use along with them. It is private land and we are guests, please act like it.
- Overall Rating: Fair to good
- Superior Falls Waterfall Complex.
- Bald Mountain “SOUTH” lookout viewing Gogebic Range (Powderhorn, Copper Peak)
- There are several scenic vistas on the trail:
- Overall Rating: Poor to Fair
- Last Groomed 01/09/2020.
- Trail 8 from Wakefield to Tula Crossing:
- Overall Rating: Poor to Fair
- Last groomed 1/9/2020.
- Trail 2 from Ramsay Crossing to Wakefield:
- Overall rating: Poor to Fair Condition
- WARNINGS AND NOTICES: We are begging riders to ride off trail legally as there are 1-million acres of public land east of Wakefield to off trail ride on – please only ride legal areas! The Ottawa National Forest is 990,000 acres and much of it open to cross-country riding (no trail/road) if there is 6″ or more of snow. Several restricted areas, contact the forest for further information.
Gogebic Area Groomers Report 1/11/2021
Trails are thin, conditions are poor right now. Forecast for snow and cold temps to move in by Thursdays. Will update on Friday.
U.P. Thunder Riders Trail Report 1/11/2021
Groomers are still in the barn waiting for more snow, Wed. Thurs. we will be evaluating snow conditions to decide if we can go out
MICHIGAN’S UPPER PENINSULA SNOW
Winter lays a white blanket across the hills inviting all to come outdoors and play; Snowmobile down endless groomed trails. Michigan is a snowmobiler’s paradise, boasting more than six million acres of state and federal lands along with hundreds of miles of privately owned trails.
It’s Snow Time for Michigan Snowmobilers. Michigan ranks among the top eight snowmobiling states in the nation. It’s first in sheer beauty, with thousands of miles of groomed and ungroomed public trails. They span whole regions of countryside, winding across rolling fields, then plunging down woodland ravines up into deep pine forests, from town to town in Michigan.
If wintry trails beckon you, Michigan has it all. In fact, a growing number of hotels, motels and resorts offer door-to-trail proximity.
No agency has been more active in transforming Michigan into a haven for snowmobile enthusiasts than the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (MDNR). They are the creators and guardians of Michigan’s major trail network through the state park system.
Snowmobiling is becoming more and more a family sport. Safety is paramount. Most accidents occur when drivers override their headlights at high speeds on remote trails. Alcohol is frequently a factor. When you snowmobile in Michigan, observe state laws. Protect the environment and your own safety by sticking to established trails. Use common sense and courtesy. And enjoy!