Trail Conditions: Early Season
Snow Cover: Hard base with loose snow in most areas
Date of Report: January 2, 2018
ALL TRAILS OPEN
EARLY RIDING CONDITION
NEED NEW SNOW
Temperature remain cold with 3 below zero at 7:45am. High of 9 today with overcast skies.
New fresh snow is really needed so Start Doin’ the Snow Dance! Trails are hard packed and getting icy in some areas.
Last night all land trails in Sno-Eagles Country were groomed with the exception of Trail 70W from the 17S/70W intersection. That is west of Eagle River near Parson’s GMC. Here are some other updates from the Trail Boss:
- On the Sno-Eagles Trail Map what was Alt13 or 13a is now Trail 3. That is it’s new number. This is the trail heading south to Three Lakes
- On Trail 1N there is logging in the section between the Town of Washington Town Hall & Eagle Lake Trail
- 10W/13N aka Wisconsin River Trail while it is groomed it is still rough & even icy in spots. Slow down in there
- 3N aka Manske Swamp is also groomed but rough so slow down there too.
Catfish Lake Loop & Eagle Lake Trails are now both marked and officially open. Please stay by the barrels to be safe. Reminder the Catfish Lake Loop to Lumpy’s is NO LONGER a trail.
Cold weather riding tips:
- Dress in layers.
- Warm gloves & have an extra pair with you. Granular hand warmers or maybe even battery operated gloves.
- Fully charged phone. Tuck into on the inside pockets of your jacket next to your body. Easy to reach & it will stay charged longer.
- Good cold weather boots. Rating of 30 below or more.
- Take a map with you.
- Tell someone where you are riding & the time you expect to be back.
- Stop more often for warm drinks & food. You burn energy when you ride.
- Watch for the 3 digit brown emergency signs along the trails. Particularly at intersections. These are connected into the Vilas County Sheriff’s Dept. system. Will help locate you if you have an emergency
- Consider downloading the Vilas County Map It App. The link is at the end of this report.
Start Doin’ the Snow Dance! The trails really need more SNOW!
See ya on the trails!
PROUD GROOMERS OF THE SNOWMOBILE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD® – Eagle River
Phone Trail Updates 715.479.5185
Sno-Eagles Snowmobile Club
News and Reports:
January – Every Wednesday & Thursday – Sno-Eagles Guided Trail Ride. Meet at the Historic Railroad Depot on Trail 13 in town at 9am. All are welcome. First Ride is tomorrow, January 3!
- 9 – Board of Directors Meeting – International Snowmobile Hall of Fame
- 12-14 – Vintage Snowmobile Races at the Derby Track
- 18 – Member meeting – Eagle River Inn
- 18-21 – World Championship Snowmobile Derby
- 27 – Saturday Night Out – Nutty Squirrel
- 1/31-2/2 – Week Day Ride-Away
The 2018 Sno-Eagles Club Member snowmobile trip is planned for Wed., Jan. 31 to Fri. Feb. 2. (with a possible extension to Montreal, WI on Fri., Sat. and Sun. if there is interest). We are re-scheduling the trip that was melted out last year. Destination: Konteka Black Bear Resort, White Pine, MI. This is a small resort with a bar & bowling alley. It’s about a 100 mile ride from Eagle River. Mark your calendars now for this fun event. This is a 3 day snowmobile ride (or drive) to a destination for fun, friendship, and lots of silliness with fellow Sno-Eagles members. Event Chairs, Marv & Carol Radloff have reserved all of the rooms at the Resort for SnoEagles. Call 906-885-5170 to reserve your room. Do it soon before all the rooms have been spoken for. The final date to reserve under the room block is January 6, 2018. After that you are at the whim of other sledders. WHEN THEY’RE GONE – THEY’RE GONE. Call Carol at 715-479-5153 for more details.
Handy Snowmobile Links
Wisconsin Snowmobile Registration
Discount Trail Pass for Snowmobile Club Members – $10
Standard Wisconsin Trail Pass – $30