Trail Conditions: Good
Snow Cover: 3+ hard base covered with plenty of loose SNOW
Date of Report: February 12, 2021
February 12 – 7:00am Currently 4 below – High of 3 above today
Low tonight 15 below
Trails remain in VERY GOOD to GOOD Condition
GTS Trails app shows groomers out in the last 24 hours
About 1/2 inch of new SNOW overnight
Groomers in Eagle River were out again Trails groomed are:
- 10/13 that runs through town in both directions
- Alt 13 that connects to Three Lake trails
- 10/13N heading north out of town to include trails that run up to the Bauer area connect to Conover
- 3N aka Manske Swamp
- 70W that heads west & connects to St. Germain trails
- 17S/7 connecting south & west to the Sugar Camp trails
Best way to learn the trails is to buy a Sno-Eagles trail map. Plus download the GTS trails app It is available at the App Store.
The trails are in great shape everywhere in Vilas county. Returned from a snowmobile trip by sled to Michigan yesterday. As for Eagle River trails from the north rode a Very Good 10/13N heading toward town to a Very Good 3N aka Manske Swamp to a Good to Fair 17N heading north to a Fair 1 to Eagle Lake to a Good 10E.
10/13N & 3N were completed SNOW covered. Under the trees on 17N very pale snirt. Much of trail 1 is on Deerview Lane & Townhall Road so the road sections were icy. The section that turns into the woods & is a really fun curvy trail through the road had signs of snirt & heavy traffic. Eagle Lake is very bumpy all the way across along with the south end exit to Dollar Lake Road. Dollar Lake Road icy & the trail section to the 10E intersection is bumpy with moguls at driveway crossings. 10E is covered with plenty of SNOW on the south side of highway 70E all the way out to were we cross to our house (about 4 miles) except 70E bridge crossing & a section where a homeowner has plowed the trail by their driveway.
If you do riding it’s another cold morning so here are some cold weather riding tips:
- Extra layers of clothing
- Gloves/mittens with long lasting hand warmers or try a pair of battery heated gloves. Gauntlets over handle bars good too
- Cold weather boots with layered socks. Boot warmers are good too
- Fully charged phone stored in the inside pocket of your jacket
- Heated shields are great other wise remember to breath through your nose to prevent fogging
- Stop more frequently & drink water. Cold can cause dehydration
- Tell someone where you are riding & download the MapItVilasCo app. It gps’s your location & the location of the TIN(trail identification numbers)
Please stay on the trails to keep the trails open.
Catfish & Eagle Lake trails are marked with orange reflective barrels. Please stay by the barrels to be safe. The lakes are marked by the businesses on the lake so stop in & thank them when you’re out riding.
Fantastic ride up to White Pine, MI with a total of 14 riders. 130 miles Tuesday. 100+ miles Wednesday. 110 miles Thursday! Riding was great SNOW throughout Vilas county & the UP!!
TIME TO RIDE IF YOU ARE HARDY! SEE YA ON THE TRAILS!!!
THE SNOWMOBILE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD® – Eagle River
Phone Trail Updates 715.479.5185 reporting conditions weekly
Eagle River area events – Sno-Eagles club events
News and Reports:
UPDATE – Sno-Eagles Wednesday & Thursday rides
Be sure to contact Club President, Howard Wolf at 262.442.4876 for more information on the rides
- February 18 – General membership meeting via Sno-Eagles Facebook live.
- February 20-21 – USSA World Series of Snowmobiling Race – WCDC Track – Hwy 45N – Volunteers needed
- February 26-27 – UTV Arctic Derby Dash – Volunteers needed
- February 27 – Groom to Ride raffle drawing – 1pm – Trackside – Hwy 45N
To volunteer or for more information on Sno-Eagles activities contact Howard Wolf at 262.442.4876
Wisconsin Snowmobile Registration
Discount Trail Pass for Snowmobile Club Members – $10 – Time to join a club!
Standard Wisconsin Trail Pass – $30
Out of State Trail Pass – $50
Newly Updated Vilas County Map It Trail App GPS style app of all trails in Vilas Cty. Plus includes the brown 3 digit emergency numbering system. If an emergency happens call 911 & give them that number. Find you quicker.
Newly Updated Groomer Tracking Systems (GTS) Gives you trails groomed in last 24, 48 & 96 hours
AWSC – Association of Wisconsin Snowmobile Clubs
DNR Snowmobiling Helpful Information