Trail Conditions: Fair
Snow Cover: 3-6 inch base
Date of Report: March 15, 2018
The warmer temperature and stronger sun are starting to take their toll on our trails. In the woods and in shaded areas the snow is holding, but trails can be icy to the freeze/thaw that’s happening. For those riding forest roads on National Forest Service land, please use caution and stay alert! Especially in areas where you see activity i.e. plowed roads. We can’t monitor all the forest roads throughout the county so unsafe conditions may exist. We’ve had reports of large plowed snowbanks on the roads which can be hard to see, so slow down and stay safe. Detailed reports from the local snowmobile clubs are posted below. Stay safe and stay on the trails!
Namakagon Trail Groomers: Due to warm weather and icy conditions grooming has been suspended in the Namakagon Trails area. Trails remain ride able with icy hills and corners. South facing areas, road crossings and routes have brown exposed. Trails in the woods remain ride able. Late season conditions exist. PLEASE RIDE SAFE!
Bayfield County Snowmobile Alliance – Iron River Area: Iron River area is still rideable but not enough measurable snow to groom and warmer temps forecasted for this weekend. Trails are becoming very icy with freeze/thaw conditions. Expect all road routes to be free of any rideable surface at this time.
Barnes Barnestormers: Barnestormers have suspended grooming at this point. The trails still have a good base and are rideable, however with the warm weather it doesn’t justify going out at this point. Most of the roads that connected trails have been plowed making some trails inaccessible.
Washburn Valhallers: we have decided to suspend grooming until we get more measureable snow. In the immediate Washburn area, trails are probably still ridable but tough to get uptown without a few blocks of bare pavement in most places. Still a good base on most trails out of town but will go quickly with 40 and sun.
Valhalla Area is still in pretty good shape. Very good snow on the trails and on the forest roads.
South shore Trail Club – Port Wing, Herbster & Cornucopia: Trail 1, 40 and 41 are still good, though no grooming until more snow. Trail 1 from Port Wing to Herbster is dirt but can access Hebster from the east.
WAINO Riders- Northwest corner of the County: Waino Riders are not going to groom this week. Lots of bare spots. Trail 1 is usable but not for very long if the forecast holds.
- Trail 1 near Port Wing: This is now open but use caution as ruts have frozen into the ground.
- Trail 63 in the Cable Area: Trail 63 just south of the intersection with Trail 70 south of the town of Cable is closed until further notice.
- Trail 31, South of the intersection with Trail 1 near the City of Bayfield is not signed and not being groomed. There is currently no trail access to the City of Bayfield, but there is access to Legendary Waters Casino.
- Trail 13 outside Washburn, follow signs. Permanent reroute.
- Trail 4 east of Mason, follow signs. Seasonal reroute for now, includes road routes.
- Trail 70 south of Cable, follow signs. Seasonal reroute for now, includes road routes.
- Trail 40 Southeast of Port Wing has a timber sale going active this week so keep your eyes out and stay alert in that area.
- Trail 51 south of Cornucopia near Jodi road is now being used for an active timber sale. They are logging off the trail and using the trail as a haul route so use caution. Jodi road is also being plowed for a short distance.